Our small group Bible studies and Sunday morning groups are a vital part of the life of our church. These studies take place throughout the year and at a variety of locations in people’s homes or at the church. Each study is based on the Word and encourages an atmosphere of prayerfulness and mutual care within the group.
SUNDAY 9:15 AM GROUPS
Children’s Sunday School: We will again offer a multi-age Sunday School for PreK-5th grade children using a unit from the Gospel Project. This will be covered with a rotation of teachers across the summer- this model has met our needs in summers past, with a smaller attendance being typical, and the materials can be fit to work with a broad elementary age group. A Kingdom Provided: Despite all God had done for Israel, God’s people continued to rebel against Him. They demanded a king, going against God’s plan and ignoring His warnings about how a king would rule them. God provided Israel’s first king, Saul, but because of Saul’s disobedience, God rejected him and chose David to be king. David’s son Solomon ruled Israel with great wisdom, yet his sin led to the nation of Israel being divided into two kingdoms. Solomon reminds us of our need for Jesus—the sinless, truly wise King This class will meet in the “children’s church” room in the hallway near our restrooms.
Jr. High/High School through Adult Sunday School This Gospel Project unit will cover the SAME material as the children’s class, using a young adult/adult format. The class, led by Pastor Stephen, will take you on a Christ-centered journey through the storyline of Scripture. Our summer study focuses on the Israelites’ search for a king, the flawed men that served in that position, and the ultimate fulfillment of their desire—the perfect King, Jesus. This will be the same material covered with PreK-5th grade students, and a great way for parents to cover the same material! Adults are most welcome to join this multi-generational class (meeting in the far end basement room), as an alternative to the ongoing video-based study noted below.
Adult Bible Fellowship Class Continues – That The World May Know will continue to meet in the auditorium through mid-July. Filmed in Israel and Greece, where Bible events took place, these DVD Faith Lessons weave together historical, cultural, and geographical contexts to provide insights into how people in biblical times understood Jesus’ teaching. Teacher and historian Ray Vander Laan reveals keen insights into the Scripture’s significance for believers today. In this newest material, the focus is on “Paul Proclaiming Jesus As Lord.”
SMALL GROUPS FOR MEN & WOMEN
- Sunday evening, 7:00 pm, hosted by Dick & Cindy Nichols at 1403 Ash St. in Atlantic. Working through the TRUTH PROJECT, which is a video series produced by Focus on the Family.
- Sunday evening, 7-8:30 pm, hosted by the Baxley’s at their home, 604 E. 21st St. in Atlantic. We are a group that spends time studying God’s word, living in community and uplifting and challenging each other as we seek to be more like Jesus.
- Monday morning, 7:30 am, “Walk and Talk” starting at the west end of Schildberg Quarry, contact Joanne DeArment or Cindy Nichols with questions.
- Tuesday morning, 9:30 am, Hosted by Ruth McMillen at church in the upper level classroom. Studying names of God.
- Wednesday afternoon, 2:00 pm, Hosted by Shirley Ferguson at her home at 800 Chestnut St., #406. Studying “Experiencing God” by Clyde V. King & Henry Blackaby.
- Wednesday afternoon, 3:00 pm, Hosted by Treva Turpin at church. Childcare is available. Reading “Experiencing God.”
- Wednesday evening, 6:00 pm, Hosted at church. We will work through “Seamless” by Angie Smith. This 7 week study covers the people, places, and promises of the Bible, tying them together into the greater story of Scripture.
- Wednesday evening, 6:30 pm, Hosted by Linda Nichols at her home at 61228 Oxford Rd., Atlantic. Breaking for summer.
- Thursday, 9:00 am or 6:00 pm, Hosted by Angie Johnson and Laura McLean at the church. Studying “Kingdom Woman” by Tony Evans and Chrystal Evans Hurst. Childcare provided for the 9:00 am session.
- Friday morning, 9:00 am, Studying a book called “Respectable Sins” by Jerry Bridges. The group meets at Carol Dimig’s home at 800 W. 29th St. in Atlantic. Contact Carol for more information at 254-1018.
- Tuesday morning, 6:30 am, Hosted by Chad Williams at his home outside of Atlantic. This group is working through James, 1 & 2 Peter and Jude.
- Tuesday morning, 7:15 am, hosted by Dick Nichols at Dave Highfill’s home. This group works through a book of the Bible at a time.
- Wednesday evening, 7:15 pm, hosted by Dick Nichols at church in the lower level classroom. Studying “Point Man” by Steve Ferrar. Aimed at dads with kids at home.
- Saturday morning, 6:30 am, facilitated by Larry Hinman, meets in Atlantic. This group is currently working through the Book of Acts. Contact Larry at firstname.lastname@example.org for location and more information.