Our small group Bible studies and Sunday morning groups are a vital part of the life of our church. These studies take place throughout the year and at a variety of locations in people’s homes or at the church. Each study is based on the Word and encourages an atmosphere of prayerfulness and mutual care within the group.
SUNDAY 9:15 AM GROUPS
Children’s Sunday School: We will again offer a multi-age Sunday School for PreK-5th grade children using a unit from the Gospel Project. This will be covered with a rotation of teachers across the summer- this model has met our needs in summers past, with a smaller attendance being typical, and the materials can be fit to work with a broad elementary age group. A Kingdom Provided: Despite all God had done for Israel, God’s people continued to rebel against Him. They demanded a king, going against God’s plan and ignoring His warnings about how a king would rule them. God provided Israel’s first king, Saul, but because of Saul’s disobedience, God rejected him and chose David to be king. David’s son Solomon ruled Israel with great wisdom, yet his sin led to the nation of Israel being divided into two kingdoms. Solomon reminds us of our need for Jesus—the sinless, truly wise King This class will meet in the “children’s church” room in the hallway near our restrooms.
Jr. High/High School through Adult Sunday School This Gospel Project unit will cover the SAME material as the children’s class, using a young adult/adult format. The class, led by Pastor Stephen, will take you on a Christ-centered journey through the storyline of Scripture. Our summer study focuses on the Israelites’ search for a king, the flawed men that served in that position, and the ultimate fulfillment of their desire—the perfect King, Jesus. This will be the same material covered with PreK-5th grade students, and a great way for parents to cover the same material! Adults are most welcome to join this multi-generational class (meeting in the far end basement room), as an alternative to the ongoing video-based study noted below.
Adult Bible Fellowship Class -This class for adults is “Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World.” This is a video-based study, with teaching by Max Lucado. The content is based on his book with the same title. Lucado explores God’s treatment plan for anxiety found in Philippians 4:4–8. As we follow this prescription – celebrating God’s goodness, asking for his help, leaving your concerns with him, and meditation on good things – we can experience God’s peace. This is a peace that “transcends all understanding” and can help us reframe the way we look at fears. Please join us for a time of great learning!
SMALL GROUPS FOR MEN & WOMEN
- Sunday evening, 7:00 pm, hosted by Dick & Cindy Nichols at 1403 Ash St. in Atlantic. Working through the TRUTH PROJECT, which is a video series produced by Focus on the Family.
- Sunday evening, 7-8:30 pm, hosted by the Baxley’s at their home, 604 E. 21st St. in Atlantic. We are a group that spends time studying God’s word, living in community and uplifting and challenging each other as we seek to be more like Jesus.
- Monday morning, 7:30 am, “Walk and Talk” starting at the west end of Schildberg Quarry, contact Joanne DeArment or Cindy Nichols with questions.
- Tuesday morning, 9:30 am, Hosted by Ruth McMillen at church in the upper level classroom. Studying names of God.
- Wednesday afternoon, 2:00 pm, Hosted by Shirley Ferguson at her home at 800 Chestnut St., #406. Continuing study “Experiencing God” by Henry Blackaby starts on Sept. 11.
- Wednesday afternoon, 3:00 pm, Hosted by Treva Turpin at church. Childcare is available. Reading “Experiencing God.”
- Wednesday evening, 6:00 pm, Hosted at church. Study to be determined. Will start when AWANA starts.
- Wednesday evening, 6:30 pm, Hosted by Linda Nichols at her home at 61228 Oxford Rd., Atlantic. 1 Peter study by Jen Wilkins starts on Wednesday, September 11.
- Thursday, 6:30 pm, hosted by Jan Myers at her home at 901 E. 9th St., Atlantic. Studying “Eternity: 101” by Randy Alcorn starting on Thursday, August 22. Contact Jan at 249-8615 if you plan to attend.
- Friday morning, 9:00 am, Studying a book called “Respectable Sins” by Jerry Bridges. The group meets at Carol Dimig’s home at 800 W. 29th St. in Atlantic. Contact Carol for more information at 254-1018.
- Tuesday morning, 6:30 am, Hosted by Chad Williams at his home outside of Atlantic. This group is working through James, 1 & 2 Peter and Jude.
- Tuesday morning, 7:15 am, hosted by Dick Nichols at Dave Highfill’s home. This group works through a book of the Bible at a time.
- Wednesday evening, 7:15 pm, hosted by Dick Nichols at church in the lower level classroom. Studying “Point Man” by Steve Ferrar. Aimed at dads with kids at home.
- Saturday morning, 6:30 am, facilitated by Larry Hinman, meets in Atlantic. This group is currently working through the Book of Acts. Contact Larry at email@example.com for location and more information.